Microsoft Live@edu offers an extensible platform that provides control, more security and other essential functions for the academic institutions, students and professors. With this platform users have access to the following tools through the e-mail of the institution:
- E-mail and calendar: e-mail and calendar tools through Microsoft Outlook (10 GB per user).
- Tools for collaboration: free 25 GB of storing online to save, share and edit documents.
- Tools for communication: Improve online and mobile experience with tools of communication such as Windows Live Messenger, one of the most popular instant messaging programs, that is more than just chat.
You can obtain more than you need with Microsoft Outlook Live: Time, element of the suite of applications without cost of Live@edu, it is the service of e-mail constructed on the Microsoft Exchange platform that gives business class tools to your institution. Log in Outlook Live with your school e-mail and share your calendar, create lists of distribution for groups of study, chat with professors or students from any browser at any hour, from any place without the common advertising of other applications of e-mail.
Reduce information overload. The sight by conversation keeps e-mails about one topic in groups in order to follow easily chain letters of only one sight.
Outlook Live provides you 10 GB in inbox and 20Mb for sending attached files.
Manage multiple projects easily
Organize your messages and meetings according to some criteria by creating filters for important topics. Do you wish to follow up all e-mails related to the Biology group? Create a rule of inbox by going to Opciones – Organizar correo electronico and send to a specific folder the e-mails you receive from the members of this group.
Manage groups, notifications, settings of your account and much more by clicking Opciones bottom.
Log in and Access to All Services
Log in Outlook Live with the username of your institution and access to all applications of Live@edu from the main screen of the e-mail.
Access to Outlook Live from Multiple Platforms and Browsers
Use the Outlook Live family interface from the Windows and Mac operational systems in Internet Explorer, Firefox and Safari. It does not matter the platform, you will always have access to your inbox, calendar and contacts.
- Categorize and add contacts through Outlook in any browser. In this example a student is looking for a contact in Internet Explorer.
- Use Outlook Live to visualize shared calendars in any browser. In this example a student consults a classmate’s calendar by using Firefox.
- Access to your e-mail account from Mac or PC. In this example, a student checks his e-mail by using Safari.
Send Instant Messages from Outlook
Do you need to ask a quickly question about an e-mail you received? You can chat directly from your Outlook Live account as follows:
1. Click on presence icon which is next to the person’s name you want to contact.
2. Select chatear.
3. If it is necessary, enter your ID and password.
4. A window to chat will be opened instantly.
5. Type your question or comment, click on Enviar and wait for the answer.
Share Your Calendar with Your Classmates
Do you work on projects in group or with other classmates? You can use the Calendarios tool to check the availability of other people. In order to share your calendar with another user you must do the following:
- Open the calendar you want to share.
- Click on Compartir bottom and choose Compartir calendario.
- When the invitation for sharing appears, enter person’s e-mail address you want to share your calendar with.
- Asunto field will be filled automatically. Choose the way you want to share your calendar. You can allow addressee to see the minimum information about your calendar such as your free and busy periods; you can allow others see detailed information such as where you are each hour or you can share all the information.
- If you want, you can choose the option to ask addressee for permission to see his calendar too.
- Click on Enviar.
- To see other people’s calendar at the same time you see your own calendar, expand the link Calendarios de personas to the left of the calendar and choose the calendar you want to see.
Make Outlook Live Your Only Account
Do not lose you time checking several e-mail accounts. You can collect the e-mails of all your accounts. To add an account, you must do the following:
- Click on Opciones, it is located at the top right-hand corner of Outlook Live.
- Click on Nuevo in Cuentas conectadas.
- Enter the e-mail and password you use to Access to the account you want to connect. It could be any account: Hotmail, Gmail, Yahoo, AOL, etc.
- Click on Siguiente bottom. Outlook will look and verify the account information.
- Click on Finalizar bottom after receiving the notification your account was connected. This will take you back to the Opciones screen where you may see the status of the new account, which will be synchronized with Outlook Live, allowing it to read and send e-mails from that account through Outlook Live.
Find Your Classmates’ and Professors’ E-mails Addresses through the ‘Lista Global de Direcciones’
Do you need to send an e-mail to a classmate or professor and you do not have their e-mail addresses? In the global list of e-mail addresses you can search by name and find data of people you require. To search contacts:
- Enter person’s name you want to look for in the text field that is next to the book-shape bottom at the top right-hand corner of the screen.
- Press Enter key.
A window will be opened and you may see user’s e-mail address, the availability of his agenda and the option of adding him to the list of contacts to chat.